Saturday, February 20, 2016

You may not think that you are changing the world

You may have moments as a Paramedic, EMT, Police Officer, and Nurse where you don't think that you are changing the world. It can seem like a blur when a night can be filled with over 10+ scenes for your partner and yourself. 

Helping one person may not be changing the world but you are changing the world for that one person.
Each person we come into contact with is an opportunity to change a life. Sometimes we just don't know exactly how we affect a person while we are on and off the clock. The opportunity may not even be the Pt. or person that you are in direct contact with. You could change the life of an innocent by 
standard on the scene.

I'd like to use my own life for example. When I was a kid, I didn't always want to be a medic. I was raised by Police Officers, Security Guards, and Fireman. I didn't want that life and stress when I was younger. I wanted to be an Accountant. I wanted to do peoples taxes because I was chasing after the money.

Then one afternoon, a 16 year old was the first person on a scene and it was bad. A woman had speed around the corner, blew a tire, and wrapped her car around a telephone pole. I only knew the basics but I did what I could. I made sure someone called Emergency Services and made sure that the woman remained conscience. 

As I watched the scene, how everyone worked together, I was hooked. I wanted to save lives for a living. I was caught up in the net of EMS when one of the local Firemen walked up, shook my hand and thanked me for stepping up to the plate.

So when your feeling like crap about your day. Try remembering why you became an EMT, Firefighter, Paramedic, Police Officer, or Nurse. You never know when your words or actions could change a persons life for the better. We may have a specific title but we are the fathers, mothers, sisters, brothers, medics, counselors, and advocates to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment