Wednesday, March 16, 2016

EMT Refresher: Parts of the Brain

Those of you who have been reading my blog posts know that I'm a security officer and part of a first response team in Fort Worth, Texas. I'm currently working towards becoming an EMT. I then would like to become a Paramedic. One day when I'm old and gray I'd like to be an EMT instructor. Who am I kidding. I'll never be old...gray...maybe.

I thought it would be good to put my homework assignments and notes on my blog since I AM Sweet EMT B. What is an EMT B? An Emergency Medical Technician that knows basic life support. So there is some basic information and here's some of the nitty gritty. Please do not use any of this information if you are not licensed in your state. Always call 911 for emergencies.

Parts of the brain are called:
The Cerebrum
The Cerebellum
The Brainstem

The Cerebrum
Outermost portion of the brain
Occupies nearly all of the cranial cavity
Controls sensation, thought, and associative memory
Controls voluntary movement

The Cerebellum
Also known as the small brain
Coordinates muscle activity and maintains balance through impulses from the eyes and ears.
Can not initiate muscle contraction
Can hold muscles in partial contraction

The Brainstem

No comments:

Post a Comment