Sunday, March 6, 2016

Sugar free isn't always best for Diabetics

You should have heard the scream of joy for this Diabetic Medic when Werthers Originals announced that sugar free caramels were hitting our local stores. I had given up candy as much as I can for a year. I was craving some really good sweetness. I decided to buy three bags.

Then I was wondering why my blood sugar was in the 200's. Flip over the bag and what do I find? Though Werther's original contains carbohydrates.

What a waste of money when I found out that the hard caramels had sugar alcohol in them and the chewy caramels had cane sugar syrup. How is cane sugar syrup sugar free?

A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. This is the reason why labels need to be read. Of course these Werther original products contain less carbohydrates then their full sugar products. Unfortunately, you can not eat the products to your heart content.

Most Diabetics are allowed 45 to 60 grams of carbohydrates per meal. I'm the type of person where I would rather obtain my fuel through fruits and vegetables. You can guess that I will not be buying this product anymore. 

Why did I bring up the subject of Diabetes, sugar alcohols, and this classic product. It's simply a friendly reminder to always read the labels and know what is going into your body. I know that my goal is to live a long and healthy life as a Diabetic. I just want to help you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment